Hadera - Identity Card
Mayor: Tzvika Gendelman
Area of Jurisdiction: 49,359 dunams (12,197 acres)
Hadera was first established as a moshava (colony) in 1891 by members of the First Aliyah who immigrated to Israel in the wake of pogroms in Russia. Its name derives from the Arabic word Al-Khoudayra, meaning “green” and referring to the mossy swamps that covered the area. The early settlers suffered from harsh living conditions due to the swamps and malaria, as well as attacks by Turks and by the Bedouins living in the area. With assistance from the Baron de Rothschild, the settlers purchased Eucalyptus trees to drain the swamps, but the deep-growing tree roots actually bypassed the problem areas and only digging canals to drain the water out to sea led to a solution in the end.
Hadera was proclaimed a city in 1952. The city lies on the Mediterranean coast, with the Nahal Hadera Park and the largest power station in Israel situated on its western side.
Besan?on, France; St. Paul, Minnesota, USA; Nuremburg, Germany; Big Spring, Texas, USA; D?rb?nd, Russia; Charlotte, No. Carolina, USA; Rizhao, China